HOUSE BILL (HB)1219
QUALIFIED TAX CREDIT PERCENTAGES
The Indiana Film and Media Production Incentive Program provides a refundable tax credit to taxpayers that make qualified production expenditures in Indiana and meet the criteria established to become a qualified production. Eligible productions with qualified Indiana production expenses of at least $35,000 per production can qualify for tax credits in the amount of:
1. Up to 30%, in the case of other qualified In-State labor expenditures; or
2. Up to 20% in the case of qualified In-State production expenditures; or
3. Up to 35% in the case of Indiana Workforce Training Expenditures , which includes paid interns who are
enrolled in a university funded by the State of Indiana or film and media production/skill training
expenditures for Indiana residents.
BILL LIMITS, RESTRICTIONS AND TERM
1. $15M is the maximum amount of media production expenditure tax credits that may be allowed during a state fiscal year for all taxpayers
2. No retroactive credits will be approved.
3. The term of this program will be six years until expiration
4. If the $15M maximum amount of media production expenditure tax credits is met two consecutive
years, the State of Indiana and may consider voting to amend this bill by increasing the maximum
expenditure to $20M for the remainder of the program until expiration
Eligible productions include film, television programs, educational videos, commercials, music videos, and video games for which a minimum of 50% of TOTAL PRODUCTION COSTS are based in Indiana and the total production costs exceed $50,000. The complete bill contains a series of qualifiers for eligible productions.
The following productions are not eligible for incentive credit: News or current events, or programs that include weather or financial market reports as a material portion of the programs; Talk shows, game shows or contests; Sports events or activities; Award shows, galas or any productions that solicit donations; and Political advertising.
‘Qualified Expenditures’ refer to any pre-production, production, and post production expenses incurred in Indiana for a Qualified Production. The complete bill covers what expenditures are considered qualified and what will not be eligible.
All applicants will pay a $200 administrative fee with submission and approved productions will be charged a final administrative review fee by the State of Indiana in the amount $500 - $1000.
Download Preliminary Draft